Each year the EMMG officers and executive committee evaluate candidates that satisfy the eligibility requirements for two awards:
- The Billy Wallis Award to recognize distinguished achievement or contribution to the electric metal making industry.
- Ronald E. Lincoln Guilder of the Year Award to recognize a member who has been an active participant in Guild functions and special projects.
Ronald E Lincoln Guilder Of The Year Award
- To recognize a member who has been an active participant in Guild functions and special projects.
- The award is to be named in memory of Ronald E. Lincoln.
- The health and vitality of the Electric Metal Makers Guild is a direct result of the active participation of the membership. The benefits to all members are directly proportional to the vitality of the Guild. Regular attendance at sectional and annual meetings is important. However, many functions must be filled throughout the year. Some of those include serving as a session chairman at sectional or annual meetings, host of a hospitality suite, presentation of a technical paper, hosting a sectional meeting and plant tour. All members are encouraged to volunteer to help and should not wait to be asked.
- Any full member in good standing.
- Members of the Executive Committee are not eligible.
- The President, 1 st Vice-President, 2 nd Vice-President and Secretary-Treasurer will select the recipient based on participation in Guild activities and contribution to the success of the Guild.
- Announcement and presentation at the President’s Banquet each year. Approved by the Executive Committee, Dearborn, Michigan, April 4, 1990.
Ronald E. Lincoln Guilder Of The Year Award Recipients
|1990||Crucible Specialty Metals||Richard D. Byrnes|
|1991||Ipsco, Inc.||John J. Wild|
|1992||Slater Steels Corp.||Donald B. Morse|
|1993||North Star Steel||William S. Clark|
|1994||AltaSteel, Ltd.||Chris Jager|
|1995||Charter Steel||Danny Coker|
|1996||National Forge Co.||Lowell S. Gonano|
|1997||The Timken Co.||James Stepanic|
|1998||Shieldalloy Metallurgical Corp.||David Lewis|
|2000||A. Finkl & Sons Co.||Jason Crawford|
|2001||PanAbrasive, Inc.||William Koshut|
|2004||Nucor Steel-Marion||Lari Blankenship|
|2006||Scaw Metals Group-Alta Steel||Dale Harrison|
|2008||Ellwood Quality Steels||Bjorn Gabrielsson|
|2009||The Timken Company||Michael D. Fox|
|2010||A. Finkl & Sons||Chris Ericksen|
|2011||Wheelabrator Abrasives Inc. Bedford||Greg Wood|
|2012||North American Hoganas||Edward Kopicz|
|2013||Steel Dynamics Inc||Daniel J. Keown|
|2014||CMC Birmingham||Jonathan Ridgeway|
|2015||Ellwood Quality Steel||Brandan M. Connelly|
|2016||ArcelorMittal Dofasco||Mike Russ|
|2017||Timken Steel||Matt Davis|
The Billy Wallis Award
Purpose To recognize distinguished achievement or contribution to the electric metal making industry.
- May be to any worthy recipient, without respect to membership in the Guild, to citizenship of any country, or to company affiliation.
- It shall not be the policy to make this award posthumously. However, where an award has been voted and the person selected dies before its official presentation, the award may be presented to the family of the deceased or to some other person designated by the award committee to receive it on behalf of the deceased.
- Nominations may be made by any member of the Electric Metal Makers Guild. Nominations received from any other source will be referred to the award committee for consideration.
- Nominations shall be made not later than 180 days prior to the annual meeting of the Guild for consideration during the current year.
- All nominations must be supported in writing by: (a) A full statement of the background, experience and notable contributions of the nominee to the electric metal making industry. (b) Explicit statement of the basic reasons for the nomination explaining why the nominee is regarded eligible for the award. (c) Any other information or references which may be helpful to the committee in consideration of the nominations, for example, books or articles published, patents, prior awards, etc.
- Members of committee: A total of five (5) immediate past presidents. The most immediate president shall act as chairman.
- Frequency of presentation: Once a year, unless otherwise excused there from by the Executive Committee.
- Location of award: It shall be presented at the annual meeting of the Electric Metal Makers Guild, at a time to be decided by the reigning President.
- The chairman of the award committee will forward a form outlining the eligibility, background, experience etc. for each nominee to each committee member, requesting the member to submit a 1 st , 2 nd and 3 rd choice from the list of nominees. The chairman shall grade the choices of each member of the committee in a manner to prevent a deadlock in the selection of a recipient.
- The selection shall be made at least 90 days before the annual meeting, and is subject to the final approval of the Executive Committee.
- The award shall consist of a suitably inscribed scroll.
- The recipient will be notified in writing by the Secretary of the Guild to be present to receive the award at the annual meeting. The President of the Guild will notify the President of the recipient’s company, or supervisor if a governmental agency is involved, of the award to be bestowed. If the recipient is self- employed or retired, this notification will not be necessary.
- These rules may only be changed by the majority rule of the Executive Committee. Approved by Executive Committee, Niagara Falls, NY, June 24, 1976.
Billy Wallis Award Recipients
|1977||Northwestern Steel & Wire Co.||Paul W. Dillon|
|1978||AEI-Birlek, Ltd.||George Tinker|
|1979||Union Carbide Corp.||Donald C. Hilty|
|1980||Union Carbide Corp.||William E. Schwabe|
|1981||Brymbo Steel Works||Emrys Davies|
|1982||Carpenter Technology Corp.||Howard O. Beaver|
|1983||Union Carbide Corp.||V. J. Nolan|
|1984||Allegheny Ludlum Steel||Richard P. Simmons|
|1985||Universal Cyclops||M. J. Meinen|
|1986||Co-Steel Int’l. Ltd.||G. R. Heffernan|
|1987||Firth-Brown, Ltd.||Eric Pinder|
|1988||A. Finkl & Sons||Charles W. Finkl|
|1989||Nucor Corp.||F. Kenneth Iverson|
|1990||Allegheny Ludlum Steel||Richard B. Shaw|
|1992||EMC International||James R. Bello|
|1993||Retired||Dr. Hansgeorg Bauer|
|1994||Retired||C. G. (Pete) Robinson|
|1995||Birmingham Steel Corp.||James A. Todd, Jr.|
|1996||Retired||Leonard G. Joseph|
|1997||Chaparral Steel||Gordon Forward|
|1998||Consultant||Gloria M. Faulring|
|2000||Steel Dynamics||Mark Millett|
|2000||SMS Demag||Manfred Kolakowski|
|2002||Fuchs Services Ltd.||Gerhard Fuchs|
|2005||Nucor Corporation||Dan DiMicco|
|2016||Arc Furnace Pro||Gary Baker|